Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Egypt, Greece, and Spain - Part 2

Greece was very cool and I would love to go back. Most of the time that we were there we were with tour groups because we had such a short time to fit so much in. Below is Anne showing off our sweet Mercedes bus.

The first night we got to Greece we went to Cape Sounion and saw the Temple to Posidien. It was amazing, surrounded by sea on three sides and on the edge of a huge cliff.
The second day in Greece we went up to Delphi. I am so glad we went up there. The countryside was gorgeous. I loved the mountains. And it was incredible to see this city that they had built ride on the side of one of these mountains.
There was writing on a bunch of the stones. I think the Greek language is incredible. What other language is there that someone in fluent modern day Greek can still read writing from 2000 years ago?
One crazy thing about Delphi is that a bunch of the roads were made of marble. I guess when you had tons and tons of marble like Greece that using it for the roads makes sense....
On day three in Greece we went on a tour of the islands. The day started out pretty cold so I put on my head. Anne called me the green pea for the rest of the day.


On the last island we took a bus to a temple on the far side of the island. It was pouring rain when we got out. So the flash captured the raindrops as they fell, which made a pretty awesome picture. Afterwards, Dad and I tried to take a picture illustrating how cold we were, expect I just look scared and Dad looks like he had a stroke. :)On the boat trip back to the mainland, there was Greek dancing. I got picked from the audience to dance. Then at the end of the dance he picked me up and spun me around on his shoulder.

Athens was a cool city. I loved the modern that surrounded the Acropolis.

The acropolis was AMAZING!!! They are actually working on restoring the entire thing so that you can walk through and see what it was like in 400 or 500 A.D. I have absolutely decided I have to go back to see that when they are done.
Here is Dad in front of the temple to the God of Medicine.

Spain was great. My favorite part of it was the cathedral in Toledo. I feel like I've been in quite a few cathedrals, but the inside of the Toledo cathedral was incredible. It took about 250 years to built, roughly from the middle of the 1200's to the end of the 1400's. So you see the progression of light coming into cathedrals as the architecture progresses. I particularly loved a portion the where they built a window at the top of the cathedral and then directed the light to shine on a gorgeous marble carving.

We did a short jaunt to Segovia, but couldn't find any parking, so our pictures were all from the car. One worked pretty well, but one I mostly just got Chad laughing at me from the back seat.
I just had to include this picture of Anne defending our luggage at the airport on the return trip.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

More great pictures. I love the one of you and dad freezing, I laughed out loud. I also like Anne defending your luggage and chad smiling in the back seat of the car. What amazing and beautiful things you were able to see. How neat!!